Smart homes are no longer a novelty; homes with integrated technology are becoming the standard for housing. That’s good news for home buyers — these innovations enhance convenience, control, security, and comfort. All these devices can increase the energy load in a home, making it crucial to integrate intelligent energy management systems into any new construction.
New home technologies increase energy efficiency through advanced devices that sense occupancy and adjust energy use accordingly. The result is a lower utility bill and the peace of mind that devices are running efficiently and only when needed. That’s good news for the planet.
Let’s explore the importance of energy management in smart homes and how home builders can integrate cutting-edge solutions.
The Benefits of Smart Energy Management
To meet the demands of tech-savvy and environmentally conscious homeowners, home builders must offer energy management solutions. The four key benefits are:
- Increased Property Values: According to recent studies by Zillow and Freddie Mac, energy-efficient and eco-friendly homes sell faster and for more money. Going green can raise property values by approximately 3% on average.
- Cost Savings: Energy-efficient homes translate into lower utility bills. By optimizing energy consumption, homeowners can save a significant amount of money over time. As a home builder, offering energy-efficient solutions can make your properties more attractive to potential buyers.
- Environmental Impact: Smart energy management reduces the carbon footprint of a home. Nearly two-thirds of young adults believe climate change will impact their homes or communities in their lifetime. As those individuals look at buying homes, they are looking at properties that contribute to a sustainable future.
- Improved Comfort: Smart thermostats, lighting, and window treatments can automatically adjust to create a comfortable living environment. This enhances the overall experience of living in a smart home, which can be a major selling point.
Must-Have Energy Management Technologies
As a home builder, you want everything you build to stand out and wow. These energy management innovations will help you do just that.
- WiFi Sensing: Using existing WiFi signals in the home, WiFi Sensing technology can detect when people are home, and which room they are in. Then, the tech automatically adjusts thermostats, lights, etc., to promote an eco-friendly home. WiFi Sensing technology is highly accurate and can be embedded into smart lights, smart thermostats, and smart plugs.
- Smart Lighting: LED lighting controlled by smart switches or apps allows homeowners to customize lighting based on their preferences and occupancy. Motion sensors or WiFi Sensing can also be used to ensure lights are only on when needed.
- Smart Thermostats: These devices learn a homeowner’s temperature preferences and adjust heating and cooling systems accordingly.
- Energy-Efficient Appliances: When selecting appliances, opt for ENERGY STAR-rated models. These appliances consume less energy while delivering the same level of performance.
- Home Energy Management Systems (HEMS): HEMS centralize the control of various energy-consuming devices in the home. They provide real-time insights into energy consumption, enabling homeowners to make informed decisions.
- Advanced HVAC Systems: Modern heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems are designed for maximum efficiency, using variable-speed technology and WiFi-Sensing-equipped smart thermostats to optimize energy consumption. Home builders can install these systems to ensure consistent temperature control while minimizing energy waste.
In addition, in every new build, install energy-efficient windows, doors and insulation to further minimize energy waste. Then, get your homes certified for energy efficiency through the EPA’s Energy Star system.
Take Eco-Friendly Home Building to the Next Level
Energy management is no longer a luxury but a necessity in today’s smart homes.
By prioritizing smart energy management and next-level technologies, you’ll be at the forefront of the housing industry, offering homes that are comfortable, cost-effective, and environmentally responsible. As homeowners become increasingly conscious of their energy usage, your forward-thinking approach will set you apart.
Are you a forward-thinking home builder? Let’s talk. WiFi Sensing can level up new homes by intelligently automating energy management, home security, lighting, and more. Watch our latest webinar on demand, WiFi Sensing: Enabling Advanced Home Intelligence to learn more.